top of page

Gear Swap (Buy/Sell/Trade)

Public·53 friends
Nikolai Muravyov
Nikolai Muravyov

The Final Tuesday Night Club Ride Of 2019; The Watt King Pulleth!

Lawyer. Read about Benedict here.WORKS The Beginning of America: A Discourse delivered before the New-York historical society on its fifth-ninth anniversary, Tuesday, November 17, 1863. New-York: Printed by J.F. Trow, 1864. 64 pp.; 25 cm. Religion in public schools, A Paper read before the American Association for the Advancement of Education at their third session, held at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, August, 1853. Newark, N.J.: A. Stephen Holbrook, printer, 1854. 26 pp.; 23 cm. Berman, Harold(1918-2007)Legal scholar. Learn more about Berman here. Our thanks to Dr. Berman for his permission to offer the items below.WORKSLove for Justice: The Influence of Christianity upon the Development of Law [PDF -- the Oklahoma Law Review grants permission for non-profits to reproduce this, provided the author and journal is named and notice of copyright is offered]Religious Foundations of Law in the West: An Historical Perspective," The Journal of Law And Religion, Volume 1 (1983), pp. 3-43.The Western Legal Tradition in a Millennial Perspective: Past and Future," The Edward Douglas White Lecture, Louisiana State University, Louisiana Law Review, Volume 60 (2000), pp. 739-763. Bethune, George W. (George Washington)(1805-1862)WORKS The Relation of the Sunday-school system to our Christian patriotism: Annual sermon in behalf of the American Sunday-School Union: delivered at Philadelphia, May 16, 1847. Philadelphia: American Sunday-School Union, 1847. 25 pp. Bevier, Abraham Garret(1812-1861)A descendant of the Huguenots.WORKSThe Indians, or, Narratives of massacres and depredations on the frontier in Wawasink and its vicinity during the American Revolution interspersed with reflections on the providence of God: with an appendix containing brief notices of natural curiosities and objects of interest in Wawasink. Rondout, N.Y.: For sale at the Print. Office of Bradbury & Wells; New York: At the Office of the Christian intelligencer, (New York: John A. Gray, printer), 1846. 79 pp. Bingham, Caleb(1575-1817)Textbook writer. Read about Bingham here.WORKS The American Preceptor; being a new selection of lessons for reading and speaking: designed for the use of schools. By Caleb Bingham, A.M. Author of the Columbian orator, Child's companion, etc. The first New-York (from the fifth) edition, 1800.iv, [1] 6-228 p. 18 cm. (12mo) The Columbian Orator, containing a variety of original and selected pieces; together with rules; calculated to improve youth and others in the ornamental and useful art of eloquence. By Caleb Bingham, A.M. author of The American preceptor, Young lady's accidence, etc. [Three lines from Rollin] Published according to act of Congress. Third edition. 300 pp. 18 cm. (12mo) The Columbian Orator. 15th edition. Boston, 1812. 287 pp. Frederick Douglass: When I was about thirteen years old, and had succeeded in learning to read, every increase of knowledge, especially anything respecting the free states, was an additional weight to the almost intolerable burden of my thought--"I am a slave for life." To my bondage I could see no end. It was a terrible reality, and I shall never be able to tell how sadly that thought chafed my young spirit. Fortunately, or unfortunately, I had earned a little money in blacking boots for some gentlemen, with which I purchased of Mr. Knight, on Thames street, what was then a very popular school book, viz., "The Columbian Orator," for which I paid fifty cents. I was led to buy this book by hearing some little boys say they were going to learn some pieces out of it for the exhibition. This volume was indeed a rich treasure, and every opportunity afforded me, for a time, was spent in diligently perusing it. Among much other interesting matter, that which I read again and again with unflagging satisfaction was a short dialogue between a master and his slave. The slave is represented as having been recaptured in a second attempt to run away; and the master opens the dialogue with an upbraiding speech, charging the slave with ingratitude, and demanding to know what he has to say in his own defense. Thus upbraided and thus called upon to reply, the slave rejoins that he knows how little anything that he can say will avail, seeing that he is completely in the hands of his owner; and with noble resolution, calmly says, "I submit to my fate." Touched by the slave's answer, the master insists upon his further speaking, and recapitulates the many acts of kindness which he has performed toward the slave, and tells him he is permitted to speak for himself. Thus invited, the quondam slave made a spirited defense of himself, and thereafter the whole argument for and against slavery is brought out. The master was vanquished at every turn in the argument, and appreciating the fact he generously and meekly emancipates the slave, with his best wishes for his prosperity. It is unnecessary to say that a dialogue with such an origin and such an end, read by me when every nerve of my being was in revolt at my own condition as a slave, affected me most powerfully. I could not help feeling that the day might yet come, when the well-directed answers made by the slave to the master, in this instance, would find a counterpart in my own experience. This, however, was not all the fanaticism which I found in the Columbian Orator. I met there one of Sheridan's mighty speeches, on the subject of Catholic Emancipation, Lord Chatham's speech on the American War, and speeches by the great William Pitt, and by Fox. These were all choice documents to me, and I read them over and over again, with an interest ever increasing, because it was ever gaining in intelligence; for the more I read them the better I understood them. The reading of these speeches added much to my limited stock of language, and enabled me to give tongue to many interesting thoughts which had often flashed through my mind and died away for want of words in which to give them utterance. The mighty power and heart-searching directness of truth penetrating the heart of a slaveholder, compelling him to yield up his earthly interests to the claims of eternal justice, were finely illustrated in the dialogue, and from the speeches of Sheridan I got a bold and powerful denunciation of oppression and a most brilliant vindication of the rights of man. Here was indeed a noble acquisition. If I had ever wavered under the consideration that the Almighty, in some way, had ordained slavery and willed my enslavement for his own glory, I wavered no longer. I had now penetrated to the secret of all slavery and all oppression, and had ascertained their true foundation to be in the pride, the power, and the avarice of man. With a book in my hand so redolent of the principles of liberty, with a perception of my own human nature and the facts of my past and present experience, I was equal to a contest with the religious advocates of slavery, whether white or black, for blindness in this matter was not confined to the white people. I have met many good religious colored people at the south, who were under the delusion that God required them to submit to slavery and to wear their chains with meekness and humility. I could entertain no such nonsense as this, and I quite lost my patience when I found a colored man weak enough to believe such stuff.

The Final Tuesday Night Club Ride of 2019; The Watt King Pulleth!

American theologian. Son of Jonathan Edwards (1703-58). President of Union College at Schenectady, N.Y. Read more about Edwards here.WORKSFast Sermon of April 1771. Edwards-Chapin Collection, Box 1, Uncatalogued MS Vault 803, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut.Fast Sermon of April 1772. Edwards-Chapin Collection, Box 1, Uncatalogued MS Vault 803, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut.Submission to Rulers. Preached at a Freeman's meeting, 1775. Extracted from The Works of Jonathan Edwards, D.D., late president of Union College, Volume 2. Andover [Mass.], 1842, pp. 238-247. Also here.The Necessity of Atonement, and the consistency between that and free grace, in forgiveness, illustrated in three Sermons, preached before His Excellency the governor, and a large number of both houses of the legislature of the state of Connecticut, during their sessions at New-Haven, in October, A.D. M.DCC.LXXXV. By Jonathan Edwards, D.D. Pastor of a church in New-Haven. 63, [1] pp. 18 cm. (8vo) The Injustice and Impolicy of the slave trade, and of the slavery of the Africans: illustrated in a Sermon preached before the Connecticut Society for the Promotion of Freedom, and for the Relief of Persons Unlawfully Holden in Bondage, at their annual meeting in New-Haven, September 15, 1791. / By Jonathan Edwards, D.D. Pastor of a church in New-Haven. [New Haven], Printed by Thomas and Samuel Green, 1791. 39 pp.A Sermon delivered at the funeral of the Honorable Roger Shermon [sic] Esq. senator of the United States of America. Who deceased the 23 of July 1793. By Jonathan Edwards, D.D. 1793. 24 pp. 22 cm. (8vo) The Necessity of the Belief of Christianity. Hartford, 1794. Also here. From Ellis Sandoz (editor), Political Sermons of the American Founding Era. Vol. 2 (1789-1805) [1991] The Works of Jonathan Edwards, D.D., late president of Union College. Andover [Mass.], 1842. Volume 1 of 2. CCEL edition. The Works of Jonathan Edwards, D.D., late president of Union College. Andover [Mass.], 1842. 556 pp. Volume 1 of 2. CCEL edition. Eidsmoe, John A.(1945- )Legal Counsel for the Foundation for Moral Law and teacher of Professional Responsibility for the Oak Brook College of Law. Ordained pastor with the Association of Free Lutheran Congregations; teacher of Apologetics and other subjects for the Free Lutheran Seminary. Colonel, Alabama State Defense Force. Read more about Eidsmoe here. Website here."I am committed to the belief that the Bible is God's inspired and inerrant word, that the Bible is relevant to the issues of today, and that one of today's greatest needs is for the articulation of a comprehensive biblical view of current issues and a comprehensive biblical view of law. I am further committed to the belief that America's constitutional heritage is based on solid biblical principles and that an understanding of this constitutional heritage is essential to the preservation of American freedom. Christianity and the Constitution . . . [is] a detailed study of the religious beliefs of the founders of this nation and the role the United States of America plays in the plan of God. I urge writers in every field of academic discipline to think through their positions carefully, in the light of God's word, the Bible." --Contemporary Authors Online, Thomson Gale, 2007. WORKS Warrior, Statesman, Jurist for the South: The Life, Legacy and Law of Thomas Goode Jones. From Jones Law Review, v. 5, n. 1. 2001. Presented by permission of the author. A revised version in hardcover was published in 2003 by Sprinkle Publications. Buy this book here. A Call to Stand with Chief Justice Moore. PDF version. The Federalist Papers: The Key to Restoring Our Constitutional Republic.The Doctrine of Interposition in Christian Theology. January 29, 2006. What Congress Can Do for This American. January 21, 2008. Tripoli v. Paris: A Tale of Two Treaties. March 10, 2009. See also the response here by William R. Bowen: Tempest in a Treaty: Does the Treaty of Tripoli Support a Secular America?. Response to The Hidden Faith of the Founding Fathers. Who Were They Hiding It From?. January 6, 2012. Christianity and the Constitution: The Faith of Our Founding Fathers. Baker Publishing Group, August 1995. 473 pp. Foreword by D. James Kennedy. Buy this book here. Other works. Also here.Eisenhower, Dwight D.(1890-1969)34th President of the United States. See Eisenhower's entry here at the American Presidents webpage.Eliot, Andrew(1718-1778)Boston Clergyman. Read more about Eliot here. "In Election Sermon on May 29, 1765 (the same day Patrick Henry introduced his famous Resolutions in the Virginia legislature against the Stamp Act) delivered before the Royal Governor and the legislature of Massachusetts, he upheld the right of resistance against usurpers and tyranny."WORKSA Sermon Preached Before His Excellency Francis Bernard, Esq; Governor, the Honorable His Majesty's Council, and the Honorable House of Representatives, of the province of the Massachusetts-Bay in New-England, May 29th 1765. Being the anniversary for the election of His Majesty's Council for the province. By Andrew Eliot, A.M. Pastor of a church in Boston. Boston, MDCCLXV. [1765]. 57 pp.Eliot, John(1604-1690)Clergyman. Read more about Eliot here.WORKSThe Harmony of the Gospels: in the holy history of the humiliation and sufferings of Jesus Christ, from his incarnation to his death and burial. Published by John Eliot, teacher of the church in Roxbury. Boston; 1678. [4], 131, [1] pp.; 19 cm. Convers Francis (1795-1863). Life of John Eliot: The apostle to the Indians. New-York: Harper & Bros., 1844. xii, 357 pp., [1] leaf of plates: facsim; 18 cm. Nehemiah Adams. The Life of John Eliot: with an account of the early missionary efforts among the Indians of New England. Boston, 1847. 322 pp. Ellsworth, Oliver(1745-1807)American statesman and jurist. Read more about Ellsworth here.WORKSWilliam Garrott Brown. The Life of Oliver Ellsworth. New York: Macmillan, 1905. ix, 369 pp., [4] leaves of plates: ill.; 23 cm.To the General Assembly of the State of Connecticut. Published in The Courant, August 11, 1818, p. 2. Present on the committee: Oliver Ellsworth, David Daggett, Pliny Hillyer, Eliphalet Terry, Abraham Vanhorne DeWitt, Noah Webster, George Colfax, David F. Sill, David Burr, Lewis B. Sturges, Shubael Abbe, John Parish, James Morris, Elijah Sherman, Jonathan Law, Nathan Wilcox, John T. Peters, and Jonathan Burns. Report presented June 3, 1818.... "In the opinion of the committee, no legislative aid is necessary on any of the grounds of complaint specified in the Petition. This opinion however is formed on the principle recognized that every member of society should, in some way, contribute to the support of religious institutions. In illustration of this principle, it may be observed, that the primary objects of government, are the peace, order, and prosperity of society. By their preservation, individuals are secured in all their valuable interests. To the promotion of these objects, particularly in a republican government, good morals are essential. Institutions for the promotion of good morals, are therefore objects of legislative provision and support; and among these, in the opinion of the committee, religious institutions are eminently useful and important. It is not here intended that speculative opinions in theology and mere rites and modes of worship, are the subjects of legal coercion, or indeed the objects of legislation; but that the legislature, charged with the great interests of the community, may and ought to countenance, and protect religious institutions -- institutions wisely calculated to direct men to the performance of all the duties arising from their connection with each other, and to prevent or repress those evils which flow from unrestrained passion."Also on this page, Extract from "A series of Letters on the Establishment of the Worship of the Deity is Essential to National Happiness, Published in 1789," published from The Salem Gazette. "It is the influence of religion, and of Christianity above all other systems, which has raised the civilized nations of the earth from darkness to light, from brutes to men."Elwell, John L.(20th century)WORKS The Story of Byfield. Boston: George E. Littlefield, 1904. Also in Word, PDFEly, Ezra Stiles(1786-1861)Clergyman. Read more about Ely here.WORKSThe Duty of Christian Freemen to Elect Christian Rulers: A Discourse delivered on the Fourth of July, 1827, in the Seventh Presbyterian Church. Philadelphia, 1828. 32 pp. "With an appendix, designed to vindicate the liberty of Christians, and of the American Sunday School Union." Reprinted in Joseph Blau, ed., American Philosophic Addresses, 1700-1900 (New York, 1946), pp. 551-62, and Joseph Blau, "The 'Christian Party in Politics,'" Review of Religion, XI, no. 1, Sept. 1946. "We are a Christian nation; we have a right to demand that all our rulers in their conduct shall conform to Christian morality; and if they do not, it is the duty and privilege of Christian freemen to make a new and a better election." Extracted in The Reformer: A Religious Work, Volumes 7-8, Printed by J. Rakestraw, 1826, pp. 135-137. This extract includes critical commentary of Ely's position. The criticism does not take into account Ely's response in the 1828 edition with appendix. The criticism also ignores Ely's statement:"I would guard, however, against misunderstanding andmisrepresentation, when I state, that all our rulers ought intheir official stations to serve the Lord Jesus Christ. I do not wish any religious test to be prescribed by constitution,and proposed to a man on his acceptance of any public trust. Neither can any intelligent friend or his country and of true religion desire the establishment of anyone religious sect by civil law. Let the religion of the Bible rest on that everlasting rock, and on those spiritual laws, on which Jehovah has founded his kingdom: let Christianity by the spirit of Christ in her members support herself: let Church and State be for ever distinct: but, still, let the doctrines and precepts of Christ govern all men, in all their relations and employments. If a ruler is not a Christian he ought to be one, in this land of evangelical light, without delay; and he ought, being a follower of Jesus, to honour him even as he honours the FATHER. In this land of religious freedom, what should hinder a civil magistrate from believing the gospel, and professing faith in Christ, any more than any other man?"The Migration of the Pilgrims, and of their posterity: considered in an address, read before the New England Society of Philadelphia, on the 22d of December, 1817 / by Ezra Stiles Ely. Philadelphia: Printed at the office of the United States Gazette, 1818. 26 pp.Emerson, Joseph(1777-1833)Educator. Read about Emerson here.WORKSThe Evangelical primer, containing a minor doctrinal catechism, and a minor historical catechism to which is added the Westminster Assembly's Shorter catechism with short explanatory notes and copious Scripture proofs and illustrations by Joseph Emerson. Boston: 1831. 72 pp. ill.RECOMMENDATIONS.Having been informed by the Rev. Mr. Emerson of Beverly ofhis plan for publishing a book, called the Evangelical Primer, andseen a considerable part of the work, we cheerfully approve both ofthe design, and, so far as we are acquainted with it, of the manner,in which it has been executed; and do accordingly recommend the book for the use of Families and Schools.1809.Timothy Dwight, President of Yale College.Moses Stuart, Pastor of the First Congregational Church in New Haven.Noah Webster, jun. N. Haven.Samuel Merwin, Pastor of the United Congregational Church in New Haven.Benjamin Trumbull, Pastor of the Congregational Church in North Haven.Krastus Ripley, Pastor of the Congregational Church in Meriden. Nehemiah Prudden, Pastor of the Congregational Church in Enfield.Edward D. Griffin, Andover.Leonard Woods, Andover.Daniel Dana, Newburyport.William F. Rowland, Exeter. W. Hollinshead, one ot the Pastors of the Independent or Congregational churoh in Charleston, S. Carolina.Erskine,

About

Welcome to our online gear swap page. SELLERS: 1. All ite...

Friends

bottom of page